Originally, a Hudson’s
Bay Company trading post, by 1858 Yale saw the arrival of thousands
of miners coming up the Fraser by steamer. Some stayed to prospect
on the shores of the river while others embarked on bold journeys
through the Fraser Canyon. In 1862, Yale became the southern terminus
and the second mile zero (see Road
to Riches story) of the Cariboo Wagon Road, the engineering
marvel that made it all the way to Barkerville.
Today, Yale is a thriving and welcoming community of 250 people.
Historic Yale includes the 1863 Church of St. John the Divine, the
oldest church on the B.C. mainland and the Yale Museum houses First
Nations’, railway, and gold rush history.
The National Monument
to the Chinese railway workers is located on the museum grounds.
A little ways down the highway you'll find the Teague
House, the oldest remaining residence in the Fraser Canyon.
Built in 1864, it was first home to John Trutch, surveyor for the
Canadian Pacific Railway, and later to William Teague, one of the
Colonial Government's Gold Commissioners. Just two minutes south
of Yale is the town's enchanting pioneer cemetery.