Barkerville, Williams Creek, Cariboo


Poughkeepsie, May 25 - A U.S. battery, headed for Ogdensburg, passed here to-night. The Fenian Generals Gleason and Davis have also gone north.

New York, May 25 - The Canadian news created a great sensation. Eight thousand men are represented to have left here, and as many more have enlisted since. Rumor says Fitzhugh Lee is in command; also, that 700 U.S. troops have left for the border. Telegrams from St. Albans state that the Fenians entered Canada from Franklin, Vermont and attacked Freligsburg, defeating the Canadian military in a skirmish with a loss of several killed and wounded.

Boston, May 25 - Reports at headquarters state that the advanced guard occupied Pigeon Hill, the Sixth Rifles falling back with out firing a shot. The Grand Trunk Railroad is torn up for quite a distance to capture a cattle train.

Ogdensburg, May 25 - Five hundred Fenians and a hundred wagons of ammunition passed through Massena last night. Four hundred more are at St. Albans.
Col. Moseby, Confederate guerrilla, is here raising cavalry forces.

St. Albans, May 25 - The Fenians crossed the border to-day under command of General O'Neil and were soon after surprised by a volley from a force of Canadians concealed beside the road. The fire was returned and sharp discharges were kept up for some time. One Fenian was killed and one wounded. U.S. Marshal Foster and his deputy witnessed the skirmish, and shortly afterwards, when O'Neil had gone to the right of his command, arrested him, notwithstanding his refusal to surrender, and brought him in a carriage to this place.

He was taken before the U.S. commissioner for violation of the neutrality laws, and badly demoralized. The Fenians fought well, but evidently were not reinforced as expected. There are not over 500 men on the scene of the skirmish, where ammunition for fully four times that number had been provided. It is reported that many Fenians are returning to St. Albans. About one hundred and twenty arrived from the south last night. Unless the Fenians are heavily reinforced the movement will be a failure. Later intelligence says two Fenians were killed and wounded. One of the killed was Lieut. Murray, of a Boston company.

Some U.S. artillery have arrived here from Plattsburg, and more are expected to-morrow. It is rumored that Gen. Meade will soon be here. The streets are lively to-night. Several companies of British regulars are on the way to the front. Great excitement prevails all along the border.

Montréal, May 25 - The Fenians are at Trout river, Huntington county, and intend to cross. Six hundred volunteers have left for the frontier, and the 69th Regiment is expected from Quebec. The Fenians at Pigeon Hill, numbering 3000, are throwing up entrenchment's. The Prince Consort's Own Rifles have gone to the front, with the Montréal Volunteers, to attack them.

Prince Arthur goes in Col. Russell's staff. A battery of artillery has gone to the front. All the troops in the city are ready to move. It is thought the military authorities will not attempt to check the invaders near the border but allows them to come some distance into the country so as to get a good chance at them.

Toronto, May 25 - The news is received that O'Neil was arrested by the U.S. authorities and is now imprisoned in St. Alban's jail. The Fenians attacked the Home Guards at Cook's Corners, but they were repulsed with several killed and wounded. No lives lost on the Canadian side.

JUNE 11, 1870

Return to Archive

©Contents Copyright Ron Young